Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog has a growth on his back left leg that started at as…

Our dog has a...

Our dog has a growth on his back left leg that started at as seeming like fluid and went down now it is back and bigger and is hard

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** is about 10 yrs old..the mass doesnt seem to hurt himn if you touch it but it is making it difficult for him to walk

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?

No other than that he is fine..just worried and wondering about cost of getting it removed

10/3/2017
Sheena Christensen

Hi there, I am Dr. Christensen. A few of thoughts about Max's mass. 1)It could be several things. I don't like that it has changed in size. I would recommend having a FNA done by your veterinarian so they can help identify if the mass is of concern or not. 2)Removal may be a better option depending on its size and location. Even masses that are benign need to be removed if they are in certain areas. If you are going to get it removed, a sample can be sent in for evaluation. This will give a much better answer to what the mass is over the FNA. Identifying the type of mass is important even if you remove it, as it will let you know if there is any concern of lesions in other places. 3) I can't speak to the price of removal as that will vary from clinic to clinic and vary with what you have done. The procedure may include pre-anesthetic bloodwork to see if there are any concerns with anesthesia, IV catheter, fluids, the type of pain medication will vary depending on veterinarian preference, etc. So there are a lot of variables involved. I would call your local veterinarian to get a closer idea as to what the cost will be.

I hope that was helpful. If you have a moment to rate my service, it would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sheena Christensen

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sheena Christensen