Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has had a cough for a time and our vet thinks that it…

Customer Question
My dog has had...

My dog has had a cough for a long time and our vet thinks that it is bronchitis after a few xrays. We started a treatment of prednisone and terbutaline sulfate. His cough has gotten worse since we started last week and now one side of his face is dropping and he has pain in his ears and yellow puss like discharge/ear wax. Im really worried about him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Now that his mouth and left side of his face is drooping, he can't eat or drink very well without slobbering all over. He is a 9 year old black cocker spaniel.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with your cocker. There appears to be at least two different disorders concurrently present. You've described facial paralysis and an undetermined lower respiratory disorder. The X-rays need to be reviewed by a specialist radiologist whom most of us have on retainer for evaluating difficult to evaluate X-rays. A sterile bronchitis should have responded to the combination of prednisone and terbutaline.

The symptoms of facial paralysis may include a rapid onset of drooling from one side of the mouth, inability to blink, apparent ear droop and occasional deviation of the nose away from the affected side, and food may collect in the affected commissure of the lips which results in halitosis. His menace and palpebral reflex may be absent and ptosis (eyelid droop) is possible. The main goal of treatment is to prevent corneal ulceration. The remaining manifestations of facial paralysis need no special therapy. Sterile lubricant ophthalmic ointment should be applied to the affected eye(s) at least every 6-8 hours to prevent exposure keratitis (inflammation of the cornea) and corneal ulceration.

The prognosis for complete recovery is guarded. Some dogs will regain variable levels of function to the facial nerve but many have some degree of residual deficit. It's important that your vet (or a specialist veterinary neurologist - please see here: www.acvim.org) performs a neurologic evaluation to rule out other common causes of facial nerve dysfunction such as otitis media/interna (middle/inner ear infection) which appears to be present, hypothyroidism, ear polyps, and polyneuropathies. When they cause facial paralysis, diseases of the central nervous system such as neoplasia, encephalitis, congenital malformations, and trauma are usually accompanied by additional neurologic signs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian