Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She just ate one of my cholestaral pills I dropped on the…

Customer Question
She just ate one...

She just ate one of my cholestaral pills I dropped on the floor. Ive been on hold for 5 minutes with poisen control

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?

Atorvastatin 10mg

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup ingested your 10mg Atorvastatin.

1. How much does your pup weigh?
  2. Is she taking any other medications?
  3. Is she a healthy pup in general?

The good news is that the "statin" cholesterol lowering drugs like Atorvastatin have very low toxicity in dogs, and if she is a big dog she may show no signs of ingesting the pill at all.

These drugs block cholesterol and some fats from being absorbed from the gut, and/or block the liver from producing cholesterol.

A one time dose of 10mgs may lead to some loose stools, but that should be it. These drugs are not organ toxic and will cause any long term harm.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

She is an 8 year old pug and weighs 21 lbs.

I'm sorry I missed your reply last night. I worked for another hour after I answered your question, but since the site noted you as offline and I didn't hear back from you during that time I assumed you had read my response and were all set.

She is a bit on the smaller side, so you may see some loose stools, but I would not expect anything worse than that from this one time ingestion. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****