Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 4 month old bulldog and do not have the money for a…

Customer Question
I have a 4...

I have a 4 month old bulldog and do not have the money for a vet He started breaking out with red bumps right after I was given him I was told it was the mange I got some Happy Jack Mange Dip and used it by the directions it seemed to have helped a couple days then the breakout came back only worse he is now losing his hair Please help Jack and I

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Sherry Freeman

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sherry?

Jack

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it. These red bumps usually indicate a superficial spreading pyoderma - bacterial skin infection - which can be associated with demodectic mange but not necessarily so. Happy Jack Mange Dip is palliative only. It doesn't kill the demodectic mange mites. Whether or not mange mites are present, a pyoderma is usually treated with an antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing twice weekly in a chlorhexidine- or benzoyl peroxide-containing shampoo should hasten resolution of the infection. The shampoos can be found over the counter where dog supplies are sold. The antibiotic is a prescription drug available only from an attending vet. (We’re not allowed to prescribe through this venue.) Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian