Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is shaking like she may be cold but she's wrapped in 3…

Customer Question
She is shaking like...

She is shaking like she may be cold but she's wrapped in 3 blankets. This is the third night she's done this. She is a 20-month old lab mix, 40 lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

She is eating, drinking, and using the bathroom normally. Dog. Lab mix.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Eva...

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Eva?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
We live in RI, and she has never done this before.
I came upstairs and my husband is still downstairs. Eva has stopped shaking and is at the end of the bed, no blankets, and sleeping. I would think she didn't want me in the bed but she's never done this before and the first time (3 nights ago) she was on my lap upstairs. She has been consistently shaking for up to 20 mins and then just stopping. I can't figure out if she's cold or anxious or if this is something I need to bring her in for...it scares me when she is shaking.
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's very unlikely that her shaking represents her being chilled if other pets or people in the house aren't chilled. She can tolerate 10 degrees less than we can because she comes with a coat. Shaking is most often associated with pain, anxiety, or fever but doesn't tell us the source of these signs. I believe that her vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam on Eva in the hopes of clarifying why she's shaking and why this only occurs at night. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.