Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My maltipoo has epilepsy and the phenobarbital he is on

Customer Question
My maltipoo has epilepsy...

My maltipoo has epilepsy and the phenobarbital he is on totally prevents him form having a seizure however the doc say his levels are too high but when we take it down he seizes any suggestons

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Ace is 4.5 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

ACE

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry that Ace is having breakthrough seizures. There are so many safer options than phenobarbital out now that can be added to the phenobarbital or even replace it slowly over time. Potassium bromide is commonly added to phenobarbital when levels are high to lower the threshold but another option I am using more regularly now is kepra which only requires annual bloodwork and is much safer for the liver than phenobarbital but also can be combined with it

Please talk to your veterinarian about adding in the kepra or even the potassium bromide in hopes of reducing risk of phenobarbital toxicity in Ace. I have a handful of dogs still on this medication without issue but in your situation if levels are too high there are alternatives or combinations that can be used to help minimize any breakthrough seizures.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another 30 minutes tonight

I hope the information was helpful to you and Ace

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian