Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

One day ago my 32lb, 4.5 month old puppy vomited twice (2-3…

Customer Question
One day ago my 32lb...
One day ago my 32lb, 4.5 month old puppy vomited twice (2-3 mins apart) and it looked milky about 1/4 - 1/2 cup worth of fluid total. He then rested until I took him for a walk to maybe help “move things along.” Our walk was at the pace of a crawl with him behind me the whole time. He wasn’t interested in eating and just laid around all day. Later that night I noticed he was limping his back left leg. I figured he was sore from playing the day before with a dog buddy. This morning he’s limping more and still not hungry. He has rested all day long with a few bites of food I spoon fed him.I did take him to the vet this morning and they checked his legs and palpated his digestional tract and said no problems and most likely a bee sting—prescribed Meloxidyl. Is this Rx necessary for a bee sting? If it even is a bee sting? A 5 day long Rx seems a bit obnoxious for just a bee sting in my opinion (but i’m Not a veterinarian).Please let me know your thoughts.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/3/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Is he on any other medication aside from the Meloxidyl?

No changes to diet, no others meds. He is now lame really bad on the right hind leg. I took his to the specialist/Emergency office in town and they thought it was a TTA but x rays showed zero fracture but a lot of fluid.... so they did a joint tap and are sending it to the lab to see if he has septic arthritis. I feel so bad for the little guy and I don’t know what bacteria could have gotten in his knee ? He’s never been bitten by anything or have any cuts ? He did have coccidia and Giardia when I got him but that has been treated.
What do u think ?

In what state do you reside?

How old was he when you adopted him?

Has he had any history of ticks during your ownership?

California , he was 8 weeks old but before I rescued him he was homeless on the street with some homeless guy, some English bulldog breeders saw him, convinced the homeless guy to sell him to them they kept him for a bit but couldn’t keep him with their dogs so they rehomed him to a married couple with a baby but their Landlord said no way (because of his breed ) and then I found him on Craigslist.No ticks since I have had him and I always check.
He seemed to be doing better today but managed to slip on the rug by the door and now he is limping way worse (holding leg up higher ) and crying . I feel so bad I wish I could help him faster.

Nothing looks dislocated from pictures but x-rays are the best way to determine this. If your vet did not see a dislocation on x-ray, I'd say no.

Something to potentially discuss with your vet would be a tick panel to be sure no tick borne illnesses are the cause of the pain and swelling in the joint. Although you've never witnessed any ticks, there's a strong potential that this might have occurred before your ownership (if it occurred at all). If he's still uncomfortable, ask your vet about medication for pain aside from just the NSAID that he's already on, such as tramadol.

I mentioned the tick thing to the specialist and he kinda shrugged it off saying it would be extremely rare for his age (4.5 months) snd that it’s more of an “east coast thing.” Is that true ?

It would be uncommon with his age, but worthy of a consideration. Tick borne illnesses are more common through central USA and throughout the eastern portion, as well. That said, we do not know his complete history. And we do not have enough information to be sure that he's lived his whole life in California. Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever seem to be most common in California. Here's an incidence map from the CDC showing where lyme, in particular: http://www.healthandfitnesstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/tickmap_lg.gif

Good morning, JACustomer. Checking in. How is Waffles doing today? Any improvement?

Hi,The specialist today said he’s okay to play again, since he’s not limping anymore. Took check up x days on both legs, fluid in knee seemed to be decreasing and still nothing on the X-rays showing anything abnormal. I mentioned the tick thing again and he said prob not. Waffles does have another appt this afternoon with his integrative (western + holistic) veterinarian for a follow up so we’ll see what they say and if they will test for Lyme:

Excellent news, I am so glad to hear that he's been cleared to exercise. Keep me posted on your progress.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse