Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog received his Lyme and canine influenza booster shots…

My dog received his Lyme...
My dog received his Lyme and canine influenza booster shots today. At the site of one of the injections he has now developed a small bump that is causing him pain if pressure is applied. Is this normal?
10/3/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am sorry Bowie has this lump. I would definitely let your veterinarian know tomorrow as this sounds like a local vaccination reaction and we tend to give vaccines in specific areas and they will want to use caution next year with this vaccination

For tonight:
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours for 2-3 days, this may sedate mildly
- Cool compresses to the area in ten minute intervals for tonight and tomorrow begin rotating with the warm compresses to help this resolve

It might take several days or even a week for this to subside and it may get a little bigger before resolving but if there is cause for concern please have your veterinarian evaluate him tomorrow to determine if steroids are warranted

I hope this makes sense, it sounds like a local vaccination reaction and hopefully the above will provide relief for the first few days and allow it to resolve without further issue

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thank you! Is it normal for it to be so tender? He won't let me put a cold compress on but I did give him Benadryl.

Give the benadryl an hour to be effective. It isn't normal but can occur, think about when you get your tetanus shot. It can be swollen and sore for a few days...