Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Found a stray and the back legs look swollen and front legs

do not. She walks fine...
Found a stray and the back legs look swollen and front legs do not. She walks fine and doesn't seem to be in any pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the stray's name and age?
Customer: no name and I have been told she is about 1
JA: What is the stray's name?
Customer: We have been calling her puppy. Her back toes point out when she walks.
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Checking ...
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the stray stray?
Customer: She looks to be part beagle. No wounds visible.
10/3/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to be describing a dependent and peripheral edema which often arises in the hind legs before appearing in other areas. This is commonly seen with right-sided heart failure and hypoalbuminemia (a lack of the small protein albumin in the blood) due to a poorly functioning liver, kidneys, or bowels. A vet will need to carefully auscultate (listen to) this dog's heart as part of a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests, heartworm testing, +/- X-rays of her chest and ultrasound of her abdomen. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
She is under the care of the humane society. I took her to their vet and her protein levels are low probably due to malnutrition. She is on an antibiotic and benedryl.

Thank you for the good update. She was lucky to find you.

Thank you

You're welcome.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian