Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Sounds like she has a cough. Georgia and she is 9 months…

Customer Question
Sounds like she has...

Sounds like she has a cough

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Georgia and she is 9 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Georgia?

Shes a Labrador been immunised and just a little bit fat, not that much tho

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Georgia who has been coughing recently. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

i again,

Thank you for your patience. As you can imagine, there are a few things that could be going on here with Georgia to cause this cough. It is still possible that Georgia could have something caught at the back of her throat or even in her esophagus (food pipe), however I would be more worried this girl could have something infectious like kennel cough! Hopefully this girl is vaccinated specifically for kennel cough if she is mingling with other dogs on walks, then this would lower the degree of the disease if she did catch it. Kennel cough causes a typical dry cough and is usually unproductive (no mucous brought up). If this were the case then she is likely to have a temperature and after a full Vet check, she would be placed on around a weeks worth of antibiotics to help clear the cough up.

A full vet check really would be warranted for this girl as if this is not kennel cough, then your Vet would need to carry out an oral exam (most likely under sedation) to be able to ascertain if there is something stuck in her throat and in order to be able to pull it out if there is! An xray may also be warranted to rule out a foreign body in the throat as well as to check the lungs and heart for other possible causes of this type of cough. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi there,

How did you get on with Georgia? Did she improve, or did you follow up with your local vet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Dr E