Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been diagnosed with idiopathic seizure disorder.

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been diagnosed with idiopathic seizure disorder. Her medication was just upgraded 5 ML of Sodium Bromide. She had been having grand Mall seizures almost every 3 weeks. This time it went 5 weeks. She started to shake concontrollably and looked like she might seize, but for the first time I was able to hold her and sooth her out of it. Was the right thing to do, or should I have just let her seize. Could the up amount of medicine make the seizure more controllable? She is a beautiful Standard Poodle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Louise

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Louise?

She is almost 5 and started having seizure s when she was 2. I took her to The Colorado Vet teaching hospital. The did an MRI and a lot of testing and ruled out tumors, etc.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Louise is suffering from an idiopathic seizure disorder, also known as epilepsy.

It sounds like she had very comprehensive testing done to rule out any other causes.

In short it is absolutely possible that the increased dose of sodium bromide allowed her to have a longer interval between seizure episodes, and that is contributed to a less severe episode, which you were able to soothe her through.

Our goal with medications is exactly those things, less severe seizures, and hopefully less of them with longer intervals between cycles. In some cases we get very lucky and some of our patients are able to completely stop experiencing seizures, but that is very rare.

I think your soothing was entirely appropriate and helpful. Seizures in dogs can certainly be precipitated by stress. If we can soothe the pup and avoid a seizure they are definitely better off.

Some dogs with lower than normal seizure thresholds will seizure in response to being exposed to artificial colors, preservatives or gluten. So you might wish to feed her a diet without artificial dyes or flavors and supports brain health. Purina® Pro Plan® Veterinary Diets NeuroCare is formulated just for dogs that suffer from seizures. Make sure to talk to your veterinarian before changing foods, unlike other seizure medications the absorption of some bromide formulas can be influenced by changes in diet.

Decreasing stress is also a way to avoid seizures so if you know an event will be stressful for her avoid it if possible. You can also use calming sprays such as DAP (dog appeasing pheromone) or pheromone impregnated collars to keep her calm.

Exercise should be kept at normal levels. Exercise is a great way to naturally relieve stress and increase positive endorphin levels in the brain.

Best of luck with your girl, she is very, very lucky to have such a caring, thorough owner.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian