Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had an ultrasound last week that found a

Customer Question
thromboemboli (clot) in his caudal...
My dog had an ultrasound last week that found a thromboemboli (clot) in his caudal aorta (the large vessel that breaks off and provides the blood supply to the hind end area, more precisely the hind limbs. It is quite large and could be causing his hind limbs weakness. (he walks pigeon toed on his back feet lately)
Is this clot dangerous? How dangerous? Will it kill him? and if so, is this something that will kill him slowly or is it more likely that he will have something like a heart attack and go from fine to gone rapidly? I'm just looking for someone to actually tell us how bad this is, please help. He also has kidney disease, which he is being treated with Enalipril for, His protien creatnine ratio is about a 1.
I have the full ultrasound report i will upload
Thanks!
Ken
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
10/4/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'll address your concerns as you presented them and then post a link for your perusal...

1) Yes, it's dangerous and potentially life threatening.

2) Death can be sudden due to migration of the clot into his lungs or brain.

3) Note in the link that his protein-losing nephropathy is one of the precursors to this rare aortic thromboembolism in dogs. Here's the link: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/cardiovascular/c_dg_aortic_thromboembolism

Please peruse it and then return to our conversation with further questions or concerns. I would like to see the ultrasound report, please.

Hi Idiot,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Helo. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian