Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

6 month old lab has mucus/bloody stool. Finbar. Very thirsty…

Customer Question
6 month old lab...

6 month old lab has mucus/bloody stool

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Finbar

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Finbar?

Very thirsty

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I suspect he is drinking more because he feels dehydrated, but if he is drinking and vomiting then he should be seen on an emergency basis.

Of course anyone would be concerned about blood in the stool. Was it fresh, bright red blood or dark, tarry blood? The fresher it appears the closer the source is to his rectum.
Blood and mucous in the stool generally points toward colitis. Colitis or inflammation of the large intestine, can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. Rarely a mass in the colon can be the cause, (unlikely at his age), or exposure to anticoagulant rodenticides. Another possibility for blood in the stool is an anal gland infection, though I would not expect mucous to be in his stool with anal gland problems. Anal glands are scent glands that are located just inside the rectum.
Is Finbar current on his vaccines? If not then he should be watched very closely, as Parvo virus or Distemper would be possible.

There is a condition in dogs called hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. These dogs have profuse dark, jelly-clot like, bloody diarrhea. They are very sick dogs and get dehydrated quickly so they need immediate care. Thus if he seems lethargic and/or begins vomiting an emergency veterinary visit is best.

With the suggestions I give you Finbar's stools should firm up and the blood should clear completely over the next 2 to 3 days. If not he should be checked by his regular veterinarian. Well worth checking at least a couple fresh stool samples too as parasite eggs/cysts are shed intermittently and they may be picked up on the second sample or third test even if the first is negative.
If he still feels well otherwise now though we can try some things at home.

If his appetite is off and his stomach is gurgling he may have some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with bloody stools.
To try and settle his stomach today you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary. If his appetite is fine you can skip this step.

I would not feed him any food for 24 hours. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with bloody stools. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make colon irritation worse.

Today even with the fast you can start Kao-pectate at 1/2ml per pound or 1/2 tablespoon per 15 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. This will coat his irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store.

If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no sign of improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go.

After his food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 2 to 4 tablespoons of canned pumpkin to each meal as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.

Once he feels better (no bloody diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Best of luck with your pups, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****