Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm pretty sure my dog had a bad seizure over a week

Customer Question
I'm pretty sure my...

I'm pretty sure my dog had a bad seizure over a week ago..she has weakness in her back legs and acts like she is blind but I know she can see bc she reacted to a dog on tv as she always has. She circles the house now over and over. Do you think this is just brain damage from the seizure.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

She will 7 on Christmas her name is Millie

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Millie?

Almost 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Millie?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When did Millie last have a full panel of bloodwork?

Is this the only seizure you've ever witness Millie experience?

No she has had one in the past but the vet did not feel she needed medication and he advised me to not give her any treats from China or dog food.. I didn't witness her siezure but I woke up to her yelping and she was running into things very unsteady and shaken up..then later that day she slept for quite awhile so I assumed it was a seizure..blood work probably hasn't been done in 3-4 years.
as of now she just constantly walks around the house..I have to kennel her when I'm gone and now when I let her out she has a hard time walking and takes a few hours to get steady again

At this point, I would recommend a visit with your vet and bloodwork. Bloodwork would be one of the best ways to rule out underlying problems which might be contributing to the symptoms you're seeing. If none exist, it's possible she's suffered some brain damage though this is usually associated with aggressive seizures that occur for an extended period of time.

I would also recommend that you begin logging when you see seizures (or suspect seizures) as your vet will want to start medications if they are occurring a few times each month. One randomly, as your vet mentioned, typically doesn't warrant anti-convulsant medications. However, if you see multiples in a short period of time this will indicate a need for revisiting the topic with your vet and potentially placing her on medication. Log the date, time, duration if you witness the seizure and any associated behaviors you have witnessed leading up to or after the seizure.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Millie today?