Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 3 month old puppy, my vet says she has Giardia. She…

Customer Question
I have a 3...

I have a 3 month old puppy, my vet says she has Giardia. She only weights 6 pounds. He gave me Metronidazole 250 mg, cut in forths, she's been on it 2 weeks and still has the runs. I got her from Petland and paid $2000 for her. She is very active and happy but she isn't getting better, I go back in 2 hrs to vet. Can you help?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the puppy bleeding a lot?

No I don't see any bleeding now, just at the beginning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the puppy's name?

Misty, I take her to Gulf Animal Hospital in South Pasadena Fl.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Misty?

She pees about every 2 hours, doing good with the pee pads. Has high anxiety when I leave her.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Misty still has diarrhea after 2 weeks of metronidazole. What kind of puppy is she?

Some cases of Giardia do not get better on metronidazole, and then we try another medication called fenbendazole (Panacur). I would have your vet check her, and possibly start a course of this medication.

Puppies have to learn to be by themselves at times, so they do not develop "separation anxiety" If Misty has not been to an obedience class yet, I would get her enrolled in one. The trainer can help you with advice about preventing separation anxiety early, as well as teaching you how to train her.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer and if my answer is helpful.

Misty is a Cock-a-poo, very sweet and loving. I don't know if they would let her go to a class with the parisites. sp. the vet had told me to keep away from all other pets until this is cleared up. I thought it would be after one week on meds but it isn't so he put me on it another week.

I would try a different medication if Metronidazole did not help after 5 to 7 days. Fenbendazole (Panacur) is the recommended treatment when metronidazole does not work.

You are right, her diarrhea should be improved before she starts a class, but I would get her signed up for one. It might be a few weeks until you can get her into a class. The behavior experts tell us that putting a puppy in an obedience class is just as important as getting them their vaccinations, worming them, etc.

I am sorry but I can't make calls for the website. That offer did not come from me!

OK. I'm wondering how serious this is, she just made another big mess on the pee pad. I leave for the vet in an hour, I'm really worried about her, I don't want to lose her, she is so sweet. Marilyn

Is she eating? If she is eating, and not vomiting, then she is probably not at risk of dying from this.

Most cases of diarrhea from parasites like Giardia clear up with time and medication. It is possible there is something other than the Giardia causing her diarrhea: another parasite, an infection. I would have her tested and if the Giardia is still there, I would try the fenbendazole. If the Giardia is gone, and no other parasites are seen, I would start her on antibiotics, and/or consider changing her diet, and/or starting her on probiotics.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer and if my answer is helpful and how she is doing.

I see you opened another question about Misty. Please just respond to me here, to avoid being charged again for another questions!

Gosh, I hope you are still able to see what I am sending you. Please let me know how she is doing and if my answer was helpful! Hope she is better soon.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian