Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is an 11yr old sheltie active normal eating-bowel-and…

Customer Question
My dog is an...

My dog is an 11yr old sheltie active normal eating-bowel-and urine.BUN is 96 but creative urine analysis is normal as is all his other tests. Does have horrible breath. Vet does not seem to know what to do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

I stated that above BUN 96 all other tests normal behavior normal eating habits have not changed

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lucky

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem.

Has your dog had an elevated BUN in the past?

Is his stool normal or dark in color?

Has he had any other testing such as a bile acids test or an ultrasound of the abdomen?

Is Lucky having any vomiting or diarrhea?

Stool is normal no vomiting or diarrhea. No other testing has been done diet was changed to renal diet.

I see.

There are a few reasons I would expect the BUN to be elevated without an elevation in creatinine:

1) A liver shunt or liver disease

2) A bleed into the GI tract: either from the stomach or from very bad dental disease. Typically you will see anemia on the CBC (complete blood count) portion of the bloodwork.

3) Kidney disease in a dog with severe muscle loss (creatinine will not go up much if there is no muscle as it is a muscle breakdown product).

The next step would be to do a Bile Acids test. This will look at liver function. Alternatively, an abdominal ultrasound could be done to look at liver size and appearance as well as to look at all the other organs to make sure there are no other obvious abnormalities. I think I would do both as they can both be done via a relatively short stay (a few hours) at the vet. You may need to see an internal medicine specialist to have the ultrasound performed, and your vet can refer you to the closest one or the one they recommend.

Hello, I just wanted to check in as I never heard back from you. How is your pet doing? Is there anything else I can help you with?

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian