Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog collapsed with heat exhaustion yesterday. We cooled…

Customer Question
My dog collapsed with heat...
My dog collapsed with heat exhaustion yesterday. We cooled him down with a hose and wet towels he is up and drinking but wont eat and is just unwell in general lethargic etc.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Neo, please?

It's important to recognize that heat stroke/hyperthermia can deleteriously affect every body system. In the respiratory system noncardiogenic pulmonary edema, severe hypoxemia (lack of oxygen), and acute respiratory distress syndrome can arise. In the cardiovascular system, necrosis of heart muscle can occur leading to ventricular arrhythmias (irregular heart rates), conduction disturbances, and heart muscle dysfunction. In the hematologic system, a systemic inflammatory response and DIC (an abnormality of coagulation) can arise. Acute renal injury can occur; and brain damage is possible. Unless Neo has normalized, his vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in an attempt to clarify which - if any - body system has been badly affected and then address specific treatment to that system.