Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate an 8x11 piece of aluminum foil. Think he shredded it…

Customer Question
He ate an 8x11...

He ate an 8x11 piece of aluminum foil. Think he shredded it into pieces as he was eating it but we never saw him eat it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Momo age 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Momo?

No, healthy otherwise. No stomach issues

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear this happened.

The good news is that aluminum foil is not toxic to dogs. The only issue we have to worry about is if he ate a large amount, in which case it could potentially cause an obstruction of the GI tract. Otherwise, it is not a concern. What is a concern, however, is what was in the aluminum foil. High fat grease or other high fat food items can cause pancreatitis in dogs and may be a concern depending on what was on the foil. Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas leading to vomiting, abdominal pain, and loss of appetite. You will need to monitor for vomiting. If he vomits more than once he should head to the vet for an x-ray to look for any blockage or obstruction. Otherwise, it will likely pass with no major issue.