Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 year spayed pug has a tumor on her eye lid that will…

Customer Question
My 12 year spayed...

My 12 year spayed pug has a tumor on her eye lid that will be removed as soon as I can up the money. Her eyes became very red and she has some mucus coming out of both eyes. Can I give her Amox-clav? What do you recommend?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Lola. They said it was cancer but would remove the tumor

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lola?

She is digging so much at her face that we have to clean her face everyday. She has made her cheek bleed

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear Lola is having this problem.

This sounds like the area is quite inflamed. If both eyes are red with mucus, it could be related to allergies (which are very active right now) or dry eye affecting both eyes.

A good way to help with the comfort would be a topical steroid drop, but you will need to get that from your vet. Another option is to give an antihistamine like benaryl (given at 1mg per pound of body weight twice daily) to help with the redness and itchy feeling. Topical lubricating drops such as Genteal, Refresh, or Celluvisc would also be helpful if given every 6-8 hours (these can be found at most pharmacies). An elizabethan collar (e-collar or cone) would prevent her from pawing at it in the short term.

This combination should help quite a bit. I don't think she needs the clavamox (amoxi-clav), however if her cheek skin is very red and irritated or oozing it may be a good idea. If the skin seems ok, I would avoid the antibiotic. Regardless, I think the lump needs to come off as soon as you can get to it to help prevent her discomfort. If she doesn't seem better with the benadryl and lubricating drops, she will likely need some topical or oral steroid medication from your vet.

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian