Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is throwing up once a night for 4 days just a little…

Customer Question
My dog is throwing...

My dog is throwing up once a night for 4 days just a little and he is eat,playing and acting fine. It happens at night and early morning. He plays with tennis balls and I know he probably eats some fuzz off them so if he has eaten it could it be in his tummy causing him to throw up? I have thrown them all away. What do I need to do so he can pass it or could that be the reason?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

William

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about William?

No hes always been healthy no issues. Hes 6 years old and eats Blue buffalo limited diet.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
am i going to get an answer?
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 8 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I'm so sorry that no other expert answered your question earlier. Your question just showed up on the list of unanswered questions that I have access to and I wanted to help. I hope you will rate my answer rather than the delay.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

How often do you feed William?

When is his last meal?

Is he vomiting food or a clear like substance?

When was he last dewormed?

he eats 2 times a day he has thrown up food last night about 2 hours after eating but prior to that once was clear liquid and once bile also alittle quarter size food . hes acting fine and nose is cold and wet and playing
Hes never been dewormed since he was a puppy
He is a scavenger though he will eat anything if its with in his reach
He had a heart worm test 3 months ago

Thanks for that information. It is helpful. It is a good idea to deworm him since dogs generally pick up worms at one point or another and it won't hurt.

Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Many heartworm preventatives also help control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

However, dogs can develop ulcers and acid reflux with excess bile. Excess bile can trigger vomiting. A yellowish vomit indicates an excess of bile. There are several things you can do to help with this type of situation. You can give your dog some pepcid or Zantac. Give about 45 minutes before feeding or first thing in the morning. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Zantac can be given to a dog at .25 to 1mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Read about usage here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac

I'd start feeding your dog smaller meals 3-4 times a day taking up the food bowl afterwards. This way your dog will have food in its belly on a regular basis throughout the day. This will cut down on excess bile. I'd also add a spoonful of plain yogurt to your dog’s food 2-3 times a week to add good bacteria to your dog’s stomach to aid in digestion as well. A probiotic such as fortiflora could be used as well. It will put good bacteria into his system quicker. The bland diet of boiled chicken and rice can be used for a few days. If your dog does fine, you can slowly reintroduce your dog’s regular food into the chicken and rice mixture until it is all regular food.

If these things do not work for your dog, then your dog will need to go to the vet and have tests run to determine if a more serious condition is present. Other issues like liver or kidney failure can also lead to vomiting as well though there is usually other symptoms too.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I decided to take him to vet tonight just in case

That is a good idea especially if he is an older dog or a breed prone to liver issues.

I took him to the vet x rays showed he has an under developed liver and pancreas is a little inflamed but no blockage. Did blood work liver and pancreas came back normal. Did fecal test and urinalysis and fluids. sent him home with doggy zantac and a enzyme to help digest food as well as anti nausea meds came them to him this morning 30 minutes before eating 30 to 45 min later he threw up, stayed home all day with him and gave him about a teaspoon of food every couple hours no throw up, gave him his meds waited one hour to feed and about 2 hours later he threw up. I don;t understand whats up hes acting totally normal in fact right after throwing up he grabbed his ball and wanted to play. He does run into the glass door all the time to try to get my roommates cat is it possible he has gotten a concussion from repeat hitting head and its cause him to vomit after eating?

Let me explain a little bit about the liver. The liver filters out toxins. After a dog eats, the liver starts to filter out the toxins in the food and rids the body of them. If the liver is not working perfectly, toxins can build up in the blood until the dog starts to experience a bit of vomiting as a result. Vomiting is a result of the liver not working properly. Probiotics might help by aiding in digestion and breaking the food down quicker.

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is a gland that produces and releases enzymes into the digestive track that aid in the digestion of food. When these same enzymes are activated while they are still in the pancreas, inflammation occurs and the enzyme start "digesting" the pancreas itself. Some common causes of pancreatitis are eating a lot of very fatty foods, obesity, steroid use and other diseases and conditions.

Your vet has states the pancreas was a little inflamed so that might also cause a bit of vomiting.

You can read about it in detail here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If he does have the start of pancreatitis then sometimes withholding food for 6-12 hours can give the system a break and stop the vomiting but with smaller breeds you need to keep the blood sugar levels up with nutrical or a drop of pancake syrup every few hours.

It does take a few days for probiotics to have any real effect. I do not think this has anything to do with repeated hitting of his head.

could it take a few days for the medications to work? do you think I should take him in for ultra sound or wait and just feed smaller amount more freqently. he is drinking water and peeing not much poop because of not so much food. can he feel normal and still have the pacreatis alittle inflamed and throwup at what point should I take him back in for ultra sound

I would feed small frequent meals for a couple of days as long as he can keep it down. Then try a more normal meal and if there is no improvement, then I'd think about more intensive testing like an ultrasound.

Thank you he held the small amounts down al day yesterday it wasnt till i fed him normal amount that he threw up. hes been drinking water and I have been making sure to give him water after he throws up not to get dehydrated.

I'd give it a couple of days and then try a larger portion. You might even increase the amount gradually. Often we will do a boiled chicken and rice as it is a bland food and easier on the dog's system.

He is currently on ID low fat is that good I gave him chicken and rice and he threw that up too a couple of hours after he eats

It still has to be very small portions. With pancreatitis, they frequently stop feeding for 6 to 12 hours before trying to feed small portions. Low fat diet is good for a dog who has problems with the pancreas or liver.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.