Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I believe my 5 year old Pitbull is suffering from water

Customer Question
I believe my 5...

I believe my 5 year old Pitbull is suffering from water intoxication. He has all of the symptoms. I've been giving him frequent small doses of pedialyte. He vomited what looked to be 2liters of water about 2 hours ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No. I had both of my dogs outside. Prepared two water bowls for them. My female dog had no interest in drinking so my other dog drank both bowls. It's not an obscene amount of water but he is known to drink very quickly. Usually only give him water in small amounts throughout the day because he drinks so quickly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

His name is Dude.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dude?

5 years old. No previous health issues. No known ailments. I own his mother and father. I have had him since day one. He is extremely athletic, with a lot of lean muscle mass. He is a working dog and is trained in search&prescient along with apprehension.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Dude, please.

From what you described he wouldn't have intoxicated himself with water. What are (or were) the symptoms you saw, please?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian