Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She didn't eat dinner last night, had a drink of water but…

Customer Question
She didn't eat dinner...

She didn't eat dinner last night, had a drink of water but threw up a little, just water. She has done some really sloppy smelly poo's and is not herself

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A Shitzu Maltese cross dog af=bout 9yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Maltese cross eat anything unusual?

Not that we know of

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Maltese cross's name and age?

Roxy 9yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Roxy?

9yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxy?

Her bum seems a little pink and my daughter said her skin on her belly looks a little pink also

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Shih Tzu Maltese cross girl Roxy who has had some vomiting and sloopy faeces this afternon. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Roxy today to cause this vomiting and loose stool, and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything your girl could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Hopefully she is up to date with her vaccinations and deworming treatments. Whatever the case here, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on Roxy, and if this vomiting and diarrhoea continue, then you will need to get her seen by your local vet this afternoon or ER vet tonight.

For now, make sure Roxy has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold her food until the morning now, and from then you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. Don't worry about getting her to eat tonight, but definitely encourage her to drink now and over night. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on Roxy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Roxy and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she can't keep water down, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through ok? Let me know if you have any further questions.Dr E

Hi there,

How did you get on with Roxy? Is she better now, or did you follow up with your local vet?

Dr E