Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My daughters little dog ate a mouse that might have eaten…

Customer Question
My daughters little dog...

My daughters little dog ate a mouse that might have eaten poison. probably brodifacoum.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?

My daughter watched as the dog ate the remains of most of a mouse that the cat had caught

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Just that he is a chihuahua mix

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. When a dog eats a poisoned mouse and is thereby poisoned, it is called "relay poisoning" and it generally happens when the dog catches a live mouse that has poison in its stomach and intestines. But the good news is that the amounts involved with this route of toxicity risk are very small indeed so in most cases the dog concerned will not be at any risk.

2. However if you want to take every possible precaution and leave no stone unturned then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the mouse body that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. Of course if any odd symptoms should occur then you should take your dog to an ER vet ASAP, but in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your daughter's dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the mouse issue ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian