Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a shitzu and he has balding little marks on the…

Customer Question
My dog is a...

My dog is a shitzu and he has balding little marks on the Mack of his head and tail. It looks wet and slightly gooey. What is that

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Ceazer and he's 2_half

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ceazer?

He looks not himself and his nose is warm

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How big are these marks ?

2. How many of these does he have ?

About the size of a quarter, and there are 3 on his head at the back of neck and top of head. There are a few more on the bum and tail area. Then there are a couple of scaby hardened things on his legs.he also has hard smaller scabby bumps all over his back.

Just one more question please : Is this skin condition itchy for him ?

He is very warm and totally not at all himself I bathed him with flea shampoo I think something is wrong with him. And yes very itchy

Thanks for that, just starting to type out your answer now ...

I put a very strong smelling collar on him could this have made him sick?

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

Sorry to hear that Ceazer is uncomfortable, what you describe { Itchy skin plus skin lesions } is very common, and some dog breeds such as your one from it more than other breeds. The situation is that if you exclude infectious skin diseases such as sarcoptic mange which your vet will be easily able to do then you are often left with a diagnosis of atopic dermatitis, this is a form of allergic dermatitis. I am very suspicious from your description that this is what is the underlying cause of what going on in your dog's case so I will tell you some more about it and what causes it. However I am a bit concerned that Ceazer has a warm nose and is lethargic right now, this may mean he is running a temperature, if this is the case he is better checked over by a local vet sooner rather than later. That said lets cover things in more depth ...

1. Some cases of atopy are due to an allergy to a small protein in the saliva of the flea which the flea passes when it bites. Stringent flea control is a must not only on your dog but in the house as well. Where a dog is hypersensitive only a couple of bites may be enough to trigger a massive skin reaction, it is good practice to really control fleas properly whatever skin condition your dog is suffering from but especially atopy cases. Often the number of fleas are so low that the owner is not aware of them.

2. It can also be an allergy to components of the diet so consider a prescription hypo-allergenic diet, your vet will advise and will stock these but you can also get them from better pet stores. If you go down this road your dog will have to be fed only this and water and it may take six weeks for this approach to show any signs of success. I have known this to be very effective but you must obtain the correct type of diet, self formulated ones are rarely successful in my experience.

3. Other allergies are more difficult to deal with such as to pollen or house dust mites, because you can never get rid of the actual allergen these dogs can be maintained on a variety of drugs such as antihistamines steroids or atopica. If this is the category of disease you are dealing with then if you stop the drugs the disease will often come straight back so often a low maintenance dose is given once symptoms have been controlled. Antibiotics and antifungal drugs may also be needed in the early stages because of secondary infections. Medicated washes such as Malaseb used say twice a week are especially useful to reduce secondary infections.

4. There is a body of evidence that evening primrose oil is effective in reducing the symptoms of atopy in the dog, this normally has to be given in conjunction with other measures and again it is given every day. Just use it on a pro rata basis on human weight and your dog's weight.

5. Other treatment for skin allergies are possible such as desensitisation. While atopy is the most likely diagnosis be aware that there are other possibilities so sometime further diagnostic test such as skin biopsy can be useful.

5. If this has been going on for some time then your best plan is to have an appointment with your local vet, have the diagnosis confirmed and get the right treatment started perhaps with prescription drugs, sadly home remedies are rarely effective with Atopy. However if you want to give home remedies a try then consider Benadryl as the antihistamine, strict flea control, evening primrose oil from the human health food shop, plus a hypoallergenic diet for skin cases from a pet store and a malaseb skin wash to take care of bacterial and fungal secondary infections. Info on Benadryl including dose rates : LINK

6. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Caezer is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his skin condition ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Thank-you for your help you were right about the flea allergy.. so he's doing much better now. Because of your advice my ceazer and I thank you lots for getting us through the night

No problem, very glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian