Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She started excessively drooling tonight (pouring out of

Hi she started excessively drooling...
Hi she started excessively drooling tonight (pouring out of her) had one bout watery diarrhea
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Abby and 13 weeks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Abby?
Customer: Her nose is runny (clear)
Her stomach is making lots of noise as well. Do I need to take her into emergency vet?
10/2/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear your puppy Abby is showing these symptoms tonight...

The primary cause of drooling and licking lips is nausea in dogs. Other possible causes include an abscessed tooth, a foreign body such as a stick in the mouth, a mass orally, or ingesting something that is bitter or caustic.

So in this situation the ideal thing is to treat as if it it nausea because it is the most readily treatable condition and if there is no change in the next 12 hours a veterinary exam is warranted to determine the underlying cause and begin appropriate treatment

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours which is for nausea and stomach acid buildup
- Take a nice long walk which increases gi motility, reduces abdominal cramping and nausea but please no grass eating (with her age even just in the backyard will be helpful)
- No dinner if you have not already fed to allow the symptoms to subside without introducing anything orally that might result in progression to vomiting
- Water only in moderation
- In the morning small frequent meals of a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken

Indications your puppy should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Thank you. Given the excessive drooling and her bout of diarrhea she is acting normally. She eats just about anything on the ground outside and in house we do our best to quickly get it out of her mouth but we usually are not quick enough. If she did ingest something poisonous how will I know and will waiting until morning be okay?

Please monitor for the symptoms I listed as more urgent as far as whether a veterinary er is warranted. I wish I could answer whether it is okay to wait until morning but without an exam I can give you the symptoms that are cause for concern and if seen then it is time to get her to the er. If it also gives piece of mind and you would like to treat her symptoms faster then the er is a good idea tonight

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Thank you and understand. Her gums look pink and her respirator rate appears normal. She's up now and wanting to play so hopefully it's just something she ate that upset her stomach and it will pass. Thank you for your help

Vomiting and nausea in one so young definitely takes a lot out of them but being a puppy they can bounce back remarkably

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian