Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have an older daschund dog that is having seizures. He…

Customer Question
We have an older...

We have an older daschund dog that is having seizures. He has been to a specialist, and they prescribes a heavy duty drug . He took 3 doses and is totally out of it. He defecate in the house, is totally disoriented and cannot walk very well at all. The drug is worse than the seizure. Can we stop giving him this drug being that he has had only 3 doses?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

The dogs name is ***** ***** he is 13 1/2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?

He is partially blind due to cataracts, but is appropriate weight and clear blood work

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....can you tell me what the drug is and what the dose is and what your dog weighs?

The issue is we don't want to continue with this drug, he weighs 10 lbs, the dosage is 1/2 pi; per dose every 8 hours. It is phenobarbatol derivative. It is awful and we want to discontinue this but I want to heck to ee if only after 3 doses we would be putting Shadow at risk.

I understand what you are concerned about......Shadow is at significant risk having the seizures.....I was trying to assess whether dose was correct and was going to discuss with you about another drug also....your dog should be on an anti-epileptic because seizures can kill 13 year old dogs....

I need to know the mg on the phenobarbital......what is the mg? It is on the bottle...

Thank you.. we will look for another alternative treatment, as this medication will not work.

This medication can work if given correctly and there is another alternative.....this needs to be looked at scientifically , not with emotion....I treat these cases all the time and I never dose this drug every 8 hours.....so that is one problem right off the bat.....do you not want my help and expertise? There is nothing natural for seizures.....but the correct dose or a different drug can make a huge difference....

Please let me know if you still want help or not....

Ok, since not hearing from you I will assume you do not want help. If you change your mind, please let me know as I would be glad to assist you. Sincerely, DRB

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian