Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog Spencer (~5 year old male, black lab mix, we think…

Customer Question
Hi there! Our dog...

Hi there! Our dog Spencer (~5 year old male, black lab mix, we think lab/pitbull. ~70lbs) has always been relatively stubborn, but in the last 2 days it’s escalated a lot. He is eager to go outside but will eventually (usually around when we are getting ready to turn around and go home) simply sit down and absolutely refuse to move. He’s never been excited to end his walks, but this behavior is abnormal for him. Nothing seems to get him walking again (we had mild success with hot dogs today, but still had to ‘puppet’ him in his harness a lot), and we’ve had to resort to carrying him back home. Would love any advice or suggestions!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds, and he's perfectly normal on the beginning of walks, and also when playing with other dogs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Spencer :)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Spencer?

Not that we can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 7 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

How often do you train the dog daily and what method do you use?

What commands does the dog know?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian