Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 3 yr old spayed german shepard seems to have urine

Customer Question
leakage while she is sleeping...
Our 3 yr old spayed german shepard seems to have urine leakage while she is sleeping every 6months or so, as if she were in a heat cycle. it lasts about 10 days and then stops. she licks herself a bit more than usual during this time. Then it stops. No other changes in behavior.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While I cannot be sure of the diagnosis via the internet I can tell you that there are two forms of incontinence in the dog. One is the incontinence of cystitis [ bladder infections ] where the dog knows what is going on but has to squat down and go anyway. The second form is urinary incontinence of the spayed bitch and from your question I am sure there is some degree of possibility that this is what your dog is suffering from. I will tell you more ...

2. It tends to affect large and giant breeds such as Dobermans, Rotweillers, GSDs, Labs etc. but it is not confined to these breeds only and can sometimes affect small dogs as well.

3. It affects spayed bitches. The dog is not aware she is doing it, you will see bed wetting, damp patches on the carpet where the dog has been lying or sleeping, and urine may dribble out of the dog as she walks. It is thought to be related to a lack of hormones as the ovaries are removed during the spay.

4. What to do about it? : If this is the diagnosis then is usually easily treatable via prescription drugs your vet can supply, one group of drugs used to treat this condition contain phenylpropanolamine, the one I use had the trade name Propalin { Proin }, this is possibly your best option it is given orally. Other drugs which can be given are female hormones.

5. Unfortunately there are not really any home remedy options with this disease as prescription drugs are almost always required so a trip to the vet is needed. However I have to say that the fact it mimics her previous seasons is very unusual, where a discharge like this is blood tinged then it can represent a fragment of ovary left after the surgery, but a clear watery leakage is almost always some degree of urinary incontinence of the spayed bitch. It may be best to hold some of the drugs and only treat it when the problem occurs.

6. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian