Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Himy dog Pudzee just bit the end of his tail and now it

Customer Question
Himy dog Pudzee just...

Himy dog Pudzee just bit the end of his tail and now it bleeding

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He has a habbet of biting his tail been doing it since we got him ten years ago

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Wounds on the tail tip which bleed from whatever cause are very common in the dog, the problem is that the dog will keep wagging it's tail or will worry the wound so often slight bleeding continues which makes healing very slow, this can mark the walls of your house. Also the blood supply to the tail tip can be quite reduced compared to other parts of the body and this also can contribute to these wounds being a problem.

2. What to do about it? Well conventional bandaging is often unsuccessful on the tail tip as it will just fly off, however there are " tail protectors " which you can get from you can get from your vet or better pet stores, these are basically light plastic tubes which are attached to the tail tip with sticky medical bandage such as Elastoplast. They act to protect the tail end during healing but should also be designed to let air to the area, these wounds often heal better left open. You can however make one up from stuff you may have round the house, check out this photo : LINK

3. The wound itself can be treated with the likes of Neosporin applied to it twice a day.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian