Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She stopped eating but only yesterday, she had a rash on her…

Customer Question
She stopped eating but...

She stopped eating but only yesterday, she had a rash on her belly, she seems happy took her for a walk this morning, it looked like she wanted to poo but nothing came out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

I gave her Phenergan and the rash went

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Her name is ***** ***** she is approx. 1 yr old

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 10 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

we moved 2 weeks this Tuesday ago and she used to sleep with me every night but now i cant have her inside but im walking her twice a day before it was only twice a week

Did I understand correctly that she was previously an inside dog and now she's an outside dog?

Have you tried hand-feeding her?

Are you seeing any vomiting?

Any diarrhea?

What foods have been offered?

Ive been hand feeding her since we moved she is 33kg mastiff cross shes my baby i even tried cooked chicken and a she refused usually its chicken necks and feet

1) Did I understand correctly that she was previously an inside dog and now she's an outside dog?

2) Are you seeing any vomiting?

3) Any diarrhea?

She did vomit last night as she had a rash and i gave her a phenergan and now the rash it gone no diarrhea

I think you have good reason to see a vet considering the symptoms. It's not uncommon for dogs who have a change in their surroundings to battle with stress and can develop conditions like pancreatitis. The rash is likely due to increased exposure to allergens outside, such as grass. In lieu of giving phenergan in the future, try 1-2mg/pound of body weight of Benadryl orally every 8-12 hours. This should help treat and prevent rash recurrence. If you choose not to take her to the vet, seeing as how vomiting was witnessed, I can give you some steps to take at home. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. I would urge you to have bloodwork run, including a pancreatic profile, to ensure that no underlying conditions are contributing to the symptoms you're seeing.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help calm any GI symptoms including nausea, which may be why she's not currently eating. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications).

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Ripley today?