Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had puppies about 4 weeks ago. Last week she started…

Customer Question
Hi. My dog...

Hi. My dog had puppies about 4 weeks ago. Last week she started having diarrhea. I have tried chicken and rice, which did work. When I switched her off of that to a probiatic the diarrhea came right back. I have also tried pumpkin. Nothing seems to be working and she just doesn't seem like she can get enough to eat no matter how much I feed her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Zoey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoey?

She has had a sensitive stomach even before the puppies, which we always have given her grainfree foods

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/2/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 7 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you describe how the switch was done and over what time period?

Are any of the puppies having diarrhea?

Any vomiting from mom?

When was her last fecal analysis with your vet?

She was on chicken and rice for 3 days. On the fourth day I added food to some chicken and rice. Next meal was good with probiatic and within 2 days right back to diarrhea.
No vomiting... I plan on calling my vet tomorrow.

Did you continue increasing the amount of food she had when switching back over to her regular diet?

Has she had normal stool on this diet in the past? (The regular diet, not the chicken and rice).

she did have normal stool...

I will call my vet in the a.m. thank you

Let me know if you need further assistance. Good luck.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian