Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

GERMAN SHEPARD IS ALMOST 12 years old She been bleeding from…

Customer Question
GERMAN SHEPARD IS ALMOST...

GERMAN SHEPARD IS ALMOST 12 years old She been bleeding from her butt for the past few days. And has started to but at her left back let a lot to the point where it really stinks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She’s been having a lot trouble getting up off the floor of on to the couch

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry your dog is bleeding from her rectum. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Does she have diarrhea?

2- How long has she been having trouble getting up the floor?

3- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

4- You message was cut off, what is starting to stink?

No diarrhea. Solid poop
She’s been having trouble getting up off the floor for about 2months now.
She hasn’t ate anything different.
Her hip where she’s been bitting at stinks

1- Does she have a sore when she is bitting?

2- Is the blood coming from the rectum or the skin around the anal sphincter?

She’s not pooping as much as she use to. That’s been going on for about a month. And she’s lost some weight
1- Does she have a sore when she is bitting? 2- Is the blood coming from the rectum or the skin around the anal sphincter?
It’s coming from her rectum. There was a little sore. But she’s made it even bigger from bitting at it

1- The bleeding from the rectum has been happening for 1 month, correct?

It was just now and then. But for about the past 1 1/2 week it’s been all the time

1- Is she on any medications?

She has also been having accidents in the house. Which she never does
No meds

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Ok

Customer, the symptoms, and history you describe are related to multiple problems. When we see rectal bleeding this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). Common causes are infections, parasites, tumors, or even part of a systemic disease.

The difficulty getting up from the floor is likely secondary to arthritis of the hips. Or, she could be weak from a systemic illness. As far as the sore on her hip if it has a bad odor it is likely secondary to an infection which could be a primary infection or secondary to something else like a growth (tumor).

In this case, I would strongly recommend a hands-on examination with a veterinarian, blood work and x-rays as an initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until there is no more rectal bleeding then wean her back into her regular diet.

2- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation in the large intestines. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

For the sore in the hip:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian