Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6 month old puppy just swallowed a Advil cold and sinus…

Customer Question
My 6 month old...

My 6 month old puppy just swallowed a Advil cold and sinus pill. What should I do? I have her a 1/2 tsp I'd hydrogen peroxide but she hasn't thrown up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the puppy's name?

Poppy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Poppy?

She weighs 7 1/2 lbs

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

It's important that you do induce emesis because both the ibuprofen and pseudoephedrine in that product are toxic to such a small dog. Dosing is 1.5 measuring teaspoons (7.5 mL) which can be repeated in 15 minutes if Poppy doesn't vomit. EVen if she does vomit she should be brought to a vet to be decontaminated by tubing her with activated charcoal and then monitored over the next 24 hours. Ibuprofen can cause GI ulceration at 50 mg per pound of body weight. Pseudoephedrine is more worrisome because it can cause hyperthermia, wide open pupils, increased heart rate, hypertension, vomiting, disorientation, and seizures at doses as small as 2.3 mg per pound of body weight.

There's 200 mg ibuprofen in that product and so transient GI distress might occur. There's 30 mg of pseudoephedrine which is dangerous for a dog of Poppy's size.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?