Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My husband and I both have URIS. Now our 13 yo daschound has…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I both have URIS. Now our 13 yo daschound has hi pitched cough and increased resp. Rate.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Harley. 13yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Harley?

13 years ould

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, thanks for your question about Harley, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. It is uncommon for respiratory illnesses to be shared from people to dogs -- though it's not 100% impossible. So, it may be that Harley has caught what you've got, but there's also other possible explanations, including heart or lung problems, some of which can be very serious.

If Harley can't get comfortable, is restless and coughing while trying to sleep, won't eat, or just seems very lethargic, then I'd suggest a veterinary examination.

If Harley is eating well, active, and seems comfortable other than the cough, then a few days of monitoring could be acceptable. If he's acting like he really feels miserable, he should be seen today by a veterinarian so that x-rays and blood tests can be done to see how sick he really might be.

Gums are pink, HR 114. RR 64 . He's eating and drinking. I don't feel like he is acting miserable. Is there anything we can give to make him more comfortable?

You could run a hot shower to produce steam in the bathroom, and let him breathe that in for 10 minutes or so - this can moisturize the airways and help loosen congestion. Also, you could try a dose of Robitussin-DM, 1mL every 8-12 hours, to see if that gives any relief from the cough. This of course is just a cough suppressant but it can loosen mucus and congestion. It won't cure the underlying cause of the cough.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian