Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a yorkie that just swallowed a 5mg melatonin pill.

Customer Question
I have a yorkie...

I have a yorkie that just swallowed a 5mg melatonin pill. Will this harm him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Atticus and he’s almost four months

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Good news, Melatonin is well tolerated in dogs. Though if he has had 5mg that is a bit much for his size and could cause lethargy +/- a bit of stomach upset. So, while we could induce vomiting or use activated charcoal (which I am happy to discuss), this isn’t strictly necessary .We can just plan to keep an eye over today and try to offset any GI by offering a light diet option like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and can be given every 12 hours. Of course, double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. But again, its not an overly worrisome tablet for him to have gotten into, so we can monitor at this point or intervene if you prefer to do so.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian