Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Small 7 month old poodle sometimes coughing .... sounds like…

Customer Question
Small 7 month...

Small 7 month old poodle sometimes coughing .... sounds like a goose honking

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

TEEK

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any nasal discharge? What color?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

A couple weeks, he is also sneezing a little no discharge gums are pink , will be almost impossible for m
Ok
He will not be still for me to count anything just wants to play

Thank you,

Now you will want to keep an eye on Teek's breathing. If it is over 30 breaths per minute, we'd be concerned that it is laboured and want him seen. Though otherwise based on his signs, we do have a few concerns. Now goose honking coughs would raise concerns of a possible tracheitis, esophagitis (if he ate something that has irritated his throat), or a possible exposure to kennel cough or parainfluenza. And those last 2 are most likely given the time frame and sneezing.

Now that aside, since his signs are generally mild, I would just advise some supportive care to soothe his throat at this stage. If this has just been an irritation to his esophagus or if his immune system has any viral or bacterial agent well in hand; then this may be all we need to do. In regards ***** ***** care, we will want to put him on a soft diet for the next few days to avoid any further irritation. As well, to reduce and soothe this cough, you can try giving a mild cough suppressant. Commonly we will give a few millilitres of plain honey & glycerin cough syrup or plain honey. These can be given as often as needed. Alternatively, you could use Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 milligram per pound of body weight every 8 hours. Of course, do make sure to only use this and avoid any with pet toxic cold medications (ie acetaminophen, paracetamol, ibuprofen caffeine, alcohol, or pseudoephedrine) here.

Overall, coughing like this can be a sign of a range of issues. Still with his situation, the above would be our main concerns for Teek. So we can use the above just now since he is bright/active. Though if this cough persists past the weekend, then we'd want to consider a check up with your vet to confirm our suspicions and potentially have them dispense an antibiotic to help him clear this.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Thanks

You are very welcome, my dear.
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.
*********************************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian