Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs stomach is making squeaking noises and he won't eat…

Customer Question
Hello! My dogs stomach...

Hello! My dogs stomach is making squeaking noises and he won't eat his favorite food this morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Mozart, he's 5 months old. A golden doodle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mozart?

We went hiking yesterday and he did drink from a pool of water.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Based on your history, it sounds like Mozart has some GI upset. This could be from bacteria in that water or a non-related brewing bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa, dietary indiscretion, or a harmful ingestion (ihopefully less likely).

With this in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle this. To start, you can try him with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, give it 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Once he is more settled, you can try tempting with small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, we usually feed this until they settle and then wean slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, his signs do raise a few concerns for us but the appetite loss will be from nausea (even without vomiting). Therefore, we’d want to start the above to try to settle this for him. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, check for fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister infections present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-nausea medication, appetite stimulants, +/- antibiotics to get him settled and back to feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian