Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My yorkie weighs three pounds last week took to a new vet on…

Customer Question
My yorkie weighs three...

My yorkie weighs three pounds last week took to a new vet on Saturday she gave dhppc shot and rabies vac. He has had diarrhea since Wednesday and this morning vomitted green thick mucous. I have only been feeding boiled chicken and rice and pumpkin for last three days. Could shots have caused this? Also very small amount of watery blood o

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Noo

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Cooper

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cooper?

Don't think so. Still very playful

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now the shots themselves rarely cause GI signs like this, but more often we can see them if the dog was a fighting off a subclinical bacterial or viral gastroenteritis that has now gained a foot hold when the immune system has been distracted by a vaccination.

With this in mind, the light diet is good but we can take some further steps to help soothe Cooper's signs. To start, for his nausea, you can try him with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, give it 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down that is usually a red flag for us to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Furthermore if he is very loose, you can try a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, we can use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Or Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which are OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics already added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren’t sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). Though any of these signs and that’d be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, this sounds like a subclinical infection taking advantage of his being recently vaccinated. So, we'd want to use the above now but if he doesn’t respond within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved to start fluids, anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get him settled and back to feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.