Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog weighs about 12 pounds and ate part of a pork

Customer Question
My dog weighs about...

My dog weighs about 12 pounds and ate part of a pork shoulder bone that was cooked out of the garbage. She ate this about 3 pm. It is now 6 am and she seemed ok until around 2 am. She is vomited once, no bone fragments. She seems a little restless. I was able take some of the bone away from her and it seemed to be pretty crumbly. She has been drinking water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Roxie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roxie?

She is 4 years old and is a bishon and shitzuh mix

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Was it just old meat or bone as well?

What color was her vomit?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any black stool, straining, or diarrhea?

Since I sent you the question/concern, she vomited a fair amount twice and both times she vomited up some marrow looking gray matter and several bone fragments. She went outside and looked as if she was pooping but I had a hard time seeing because it was raining and storming. I also took her on a walk just now to get things moving. We walked more than 10 blocks and she did not poop nor did she try to. She usually poops on the walk unless she has gone earlier. She peed several times. She also drank a small amount on our return from the walk. She has not eaten breakfast but that is not unusual as she sometimes eats later. Shall I try to feed her something?
One more thing---there was no blood in the vomit, I checked it thoroughly .
She has not vomited since and that was about 2 hours ago.

Hello again,

Now we do need to tread with care for your lass in this situation. Especially as vomiting shards could lead to damage to he throat.

With this in mind, if its been2 hours since she vomited, we can consider food but may be best to pre-treat with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After, we will want to start her on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will encourage the bone material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging her to pass this, you do want to keep a close eye on her . Specifically, we need to monitor for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to be careful in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we'd be best to use an antacid first then the above to help this pass safely. Of course, if we were to see any of the above signs then we’d want her seen urgently to make sure this isn’t caught or need further intervention to pass.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.