Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 18 month old GSD woke this morning with lame backs legs.

Hi my 18 month...

Hi my 18 month old GSD woke this morning with lame backs legs. She is worse when she is outside on the concrete or uneven surfaces, not as bad on the carpet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes no wound, I have poked and prodded and there doesn’t seem to be a physical explanation

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Remi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Remi?

She recently had a K9 tooth removed due to that tooth going purple, that unexplained as to why as well

I’m am ready for the vet.
Hello
10/1/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Remi, please?

Can you clarify "lame back legs" for me, please? Is Remi ataxic ("drunken sailor"), paretic (weak) or paralyzed in one or both legs? When both hind legs are affected, I need to consider a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") or perhaps the cauda equina syndrome (narrowing of the most caudal - toward the tail - portion of her spinal canal but neither are common in such a young dog.

Hi Remi is the same, I ended up taking her to the afterhours vet, they are not sure what the problem is, possibly long bone disease. I thought Remi was better this morning but after checking her at lunch time she I still the same.Looking at her from back end she looks like she is a German Shepherd with really bad hips, her back has dipped and her walking style is like a small shuffle rather than a stride. The vets have given me some tramadol for pain. I will be taking her back to my vet, but her condition is really strange. Her physical exam was unremarkable so I am wondering if it could be neurological?

Thank you for the additional information. "Long bone disease" is panosteitis - an inflammation of long bones characterized by bone proliferation and remodeling. It's painful but usually short-lived and causes a shifting leg lameness. Fever is common. It's diagnosed with X-rays. A myelopathy as I mentioned above is an example of a neurologic disease. Her vet will recommend X-raying her spine as well as hips and long bones. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian