Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6 year old lab has diarrhea and there is bright red blood…

Customer Question
My 6 year old...

My 6 year old lab has diarrhea and there is bright red blood on a paper towel when I wipe his butt.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No. we have limited his food for the las 15 or so hours and the diarrhea continues.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 7 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Rectal bleeding can be a problem in the rectum or the colon. If it happens right after defecating, it may be an anal gland problem. Just bleeding from the rectum without clots may just be a problem in the rectal area such as rectal polyps. You can read about anal gland problems here:

http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html

You can read about rectal polyps here:

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/oncology_rectal_tumors.htm

It's also possible your dog may be experiencing a rectal prolapse. Often you will see a protrusion from the rectum with a prolapse. You can read about that here.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=349

Parasites such as worms and protozoan infections such as coccidia and giardia can produce blood in the stool and blood from the rectum after bowel movements. Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Revolution and Interceptor as well as other heartworm medications also control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

You can read about these here:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If there is straining to defecate, frequent small stools, mucus with the stools, blood coating the feces, signs of discomfort such as licking, turning suddenly or crying, then most likely the problem is in the rectal area. This would include rectal polyps or prolapse, parasites, colitis, colonic ulcers, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) and even cancer. HGE is very serious and life threatening. You can read about it here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge/page1.aspx

If the dog is vomiting and refusing to eat along with bloody diarrhea, then the dog should be seen immediately by your vet. Most cases of blood in the stool or bleeding from the rectum is not immediately life threatening if there is no bleeding from other openings, but there are a few that can be. You can read about the various cause of red blood in the stool here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hematochezia-blood-in-stool-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you feel it is due to the irritation of diarrhea and your dog is eating and drinking normally, Kaopectate at 1 teaspoon per 5 pound every 2 - 6 hours or Imodium at 1 mg per 15 pounds one or two times a day can be given for diarrhea. Read dosage information here that states Loperamide is also dosed at 1 capsule (2 mg) per 50 pounds (25 kg) if over 20 pounds (10 kg).

Some herding breeds like collies can have an adverse reaction to imodium so avoid using in collies and similar breeds. Canned pumpkin (not pie filling) will also absorb excess fluid in the bowel with just a spoonful added to the dog’s food. Some experts will recommend a bland diet for a few days of boiled chicken and rice.

If the diarrhea continues, have your dog tested for parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. Here are sites on worms, coccidia and giardia, which you may find informative.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_giardiasis.htm

I do urge you to have the dog seen in any case so a definite diagnoses can be determined and treatment plan decided on.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner