Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He ate a piece of pork the other day that had onion powder…

Customer Question
He ate a piece...

He ate a piece of pork the other day that had onion powder and garlic powder on it. Now he was throwing up a little for 24 hours and continues to have diarrhea into the third day. keepin him hydrated and fed him 2 small amounts of chicken with rice, but so far no positive response

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Christmas

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Christmas?

That's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now a small dose of either usually only causes GI upset as you have reported here. Therefore, we'd want to keep up on the light diet but if he is struggling we can also add in some supportive care. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (otherwise we’d want to rest the stomach for a few hours), you can try him with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, give it 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down that is usually a red flag for us to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

You can also add canned pumpkin +/- OTC canine probiotics (ie Benebac) to his meals to firm the stools. Or if he is very loose then OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)) can also be used. Or Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which are OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics already added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, it sounds like we need to step up supportive care. So, do add the above in just now. Though if he isn't settled within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess him for any other issues and start fluids, injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics as needed to get him settled and back to feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian