Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog woke up very subdue. Didn’t want to walk, eat, drink…

Customer Question
My dog woke up very...
My dog woke up very subdue. Didn’t want to walk, eat, drink or go to toilet. He is 16 but in good health except for arthritis which is under control. He was fine last night. Took him to a vet and they checked his blood and vitals and said no issues. On the way to vet he passed a soft bowel and seemed ok after that at the vet as he was at least walking. Vet gave Losec Tablet one per day and if needed for the pain Gabapentin. I gave him one each at home. Since then he is fast a sleep and when up doesn’t want to walk, stand, eat or anything. Only urinated once today. I am a bit worried.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Scruffy, please?

How much does he weigh and how many mg of gabapentin were given to him, please? Adverse effects from that drug mainly consist of sedation and ataxia ("drunken sailor"). Omeprazole (Losec) is very well-tolerated even when dosed in excess.

Hi. Scruffy is better today in that he ate a bit and drank. I didn’t give anybGabapentin today as he is not showing signs of pain. It must have been a tummy bug from something he ate during a walk and it must have flushed out so he is on the mend. He is still on Somac once a day for 5 more days. Thank you.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Scruffy. How is everything going?