Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He has upper respotory infection and has been Given 3 doses…

Customer Question
He has upper respotory...

He has upper respotory infection and has been Given 3 doses of antibiotics and is now showing fever of 103.5 what should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Schnooks and he is 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Schnooks?

He has diabetes and heart problems we just diagnosed diabetes and they think he is insulin resistant, he is on 13 units

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Schnooks, please?

In general, I want to see a positive response to an antibiotic within halfway through his prescribed course; in other words, if you were given 10 days worth, you want to see improvement within the initial 5 days of therapy. If he weren't febrile at the onset of therapy but now is, the antibiotic may not be the correct choice of antibiotic or his infection is viral which doesn't respond to antibiotics.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian