Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

After removing a large number of ticks from my dog, The dog…

Customer Question
After removing a large...

After removing a large number of ticks from my dog, The dog threw up what looks like bile. he did this twice, He has not had a reccurence today/ 24 hrs after last incident. please advise.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

1 yr. old---Otis

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Otis

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Otis?

Has not had Lyme disease shot

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There's a very good chance that Otis's vomiting was unrelated to his tick infestation. I believe that you're concerned about a tick-borne infection such as Lyme, anaplasmosis, or ehrlichiosis but the symptoms of these infections don't arise until 2-4 weeks after a tick attaches. Fever and lameness are most common. It would be prudent to have Otis tested for these infections in a month. Exposure to these infectious agents can be detected in a simple 10 minute SNAP test performed by his vet while you wait in the exam room. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian