Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Whippet girl has swelling on the right side of her

Customer Question
My Whippet girl has...

My Whippet girl has swelling on the right side of her muzzle. Its not affecting her eye, but we just did a toothbrushing so I could inspect her gums and there is no indication of an insect sting. I don't see visual signs of a tooth abscess, but the swelling location makes it seem likely that there might be something going on deep at the front molar. I already treated with one dose of benedryl - just in case it was a bee sting and the swelling still is there. She is an Addison's dog, but as of 30 days ago we had her bloodwork comeback within control levels. I have Cephalexin and Doxycycline, would either one be of any help till we can call her vet on Monday?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Her name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pip?

The Addison's and she is being treated with fluconizole for Valley Fever

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I have to say that based on your photo, this looks like a tooth root abscess even without obvious dental changes (since usually its up at the bone level). Though we can sometimes see stings or even tumors (rare) appear in this area. So, use of Benadryl was reasonable but if it hasn't helped it can be stopped. Otherwise, while neither antibiotic is great for mouth issues, we can try the Cephalexin with Pip until her vet is open. Dose-wise, she can have 10mg per kilogram of her weight every 12 hours. This should be given after food just to avoid stomach upset and a soft diet can be fed if she has any oral discomfort with this. Of course, once her vet is open, we may need her antibiotic changed if an abscess is confirmed +/- any compromised teeth removed. And if there is any worry of a mass, her vet will be able to sample this to identify that for her and ensure we address this as best we can for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian