Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, a western terrier, 2 years old, all of a sudden

Customer Question
My dog, a western...

My dog, a western terrier, 2 years old, all of a sudden jumped on my lap, shaking and sniffing uncontrollably. He was fine before that

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Lokey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lokey?

No he is healthy

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry to hear about your boy Lokey. These symptoms could be a sign of an internal organ issue or infection, or they could purely just be behavioral in nature as well. I am replying now with a few key parameters for you to keep an eye on tonight and will have this with you in the next few minutes.

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. As above, Lokey's symptoms while worrying, are a little vague at the moment, and could be due to a wide range of potential issues. As such, for now you are best to just continue to keep a close eye on him. Keep him inside an warm tonight if you can, and try to encourage him to have a good drink of water and some of his regular food if you can. Over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If any of the parameters above aren't right, if Lokey can't settle, or if you notice any other new symptoms develop, please do play it safe and get him to your local ER vet tonight if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through? Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc