Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy has diarrhea with no other symptoms. No dehydration…

Customer Question
My puppy has diarrhea...

My puppy has diarrhea with no other symptoms. No dehydration no fever and activity is normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. What is the puppy's name?

Ace

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your puppy?

He is drinking and will eat. No vomit at all. No blood in stool. It’s a brown color stool

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How old is your puppy?

2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

He’s 9 weeks old. Not that I know of. I just got him last week. Some of the other pups in the litter had same problem one went to ER and tests showed no parasites. He had his vaccines. Pushing on tummy doesn’t hurt him

Friend, in a puppy common causes for diarrhea are parasites, infections, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes. It is important to remember that there are parasites (coccidia, giardia and whipworms) that are known to cause diarrhea, yet, be negative on fecal analysis. I would recommend discussing with your vet about deworming the puppy with Panacur. In the meantime, change his diet to rice with boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. The rice will help make the stool firmer. Do not give anti diarrhea medicine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon! Dr. Peter
He was already dewormed as well

It is not likely that he was dewormed with Panacur. You see, there are many different type of deworming medication and not all dewormer treat all of the parasites that affect dogs. In addition, very often we need to repeat the deworming medication. What is the name of the dewormer he was given?

I don’t know the name. On his paperwork it just states dewormed and date

Well, Panacur would be given for 3-5 days and needs to be repeated after 3 weeks. So, this further supports that he was not dewormed with Panacur. It is likely that he was given Strongid which does not treat against Giardia, Coccidia or Whipworms. Panacur will treat against Giardia and Whipworms. To rule out Coccidia he will need to be treated with Albon.

Hi Tracey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian