Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 1 year old pitbull has a red, slightly swollen area that…

Customer Question
My 1 year old...

My 1 year old pitbull has a red, slightly swollen area that has puss below the hock on his back foot (above his foot). I first noticed it when I saw crusty, hardened stuff on it so I went to clean his foot and noticed the reddish area with puss underneath. We have noticed the past few months he walks like an old man especially when he first gets up from a nap. About 6 months ago we took him to the vet because his hock or "ankle" was swollen the size of a golf ball and warm to the touch. While in the vet, the abscess burst and puss and blood went everywhere. They gave him antibiotics and it cleared up. I'm wondering if these are somehow related as I think its the same leg/foot. It's not as swollen at all as 6 months ago but rather a flat, sore-looking area with some puss. I'm thinking it's probably infected just wondering how serious it is and if you have any ideas.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Pitbull?

I believe that's it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of this area to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it. I would be surprised if an abscess of 6 months ago would continue to fester and just now appear in that area.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?