Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He acts as if he is constipated. Not as lively can't get…

Customer Question
He acts as if...

He acts as if he is constipated. Not as lively can't get comfortable, keeps licking his anus. this is a type of boxer about 72 pounds. not eating

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Beau. about 6 yrs old. Keeps all vet appointments and in otherwise good health.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beau?

Last seen in August for his shots. Test negative for heart worms

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/1/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Did he get into anything?

4- Is he passing any stool?

5- Does he have diarrhea?

6- Any abdominal swelling?

7- Any other symptoms?

For one or two days. no pre-exisiting conditions known. He has a dog door and goes outside quite often so I don't always know if he gets into anything, but he hasn't vomited or shown an diarrhea, not sewlling or any other symptoms than the ones I mentioned, Not chasing the squirrels and rabbits like he usually does. Comes inside and lays down,

Do you know if he is passing any feces?

Don't know. We have two dogs and a very large yard, it is currently dark so I cannot walk the yard. The other dog is a lab mix and she is exhibiting no symptoms at all. I do know that Beau is not eating or sitting with me on the couch. He comes in and simply lays in the floor- which is very unusual.

1- To make sure I got this right, you are not seeing him straining like if he is constipated, correct?

No. I haven't actually seen him strain. However, at night, he goes outside only to go to the bathroom or run another animal out of the yard. In the last five hours he as repeatedly gone outside, will be out for about 15 minutes or less and returns to the living room to lay on the floor in a very subdued manner. He has made 4 trips in the last hour or so. I just checked the side yeard and do not see any feces. when he gets up and moves around, he will circle or walk the length of the living room and then go back outside.

Friend, I am going to opt out and allow another expert to comment. I don't think I could be of much help in this case without a hands-on examination. I am sorry.